Who Am I?

My name is Gideon Lucard. I am a Swiss-American musician and amateur photographer studying music at Lawrence University. I've been singing and playing guitar and mandolin for a number of years, and I've reached the point that I want to hone my skills and make music my profession. I've spent the past few years teaching myself recording, and so I will be using this blog as a place to upload, keep, and share the work I do over the internet. I hope to maintain the blog into the future, outside of Lawrence University.

I’m establishing this blog as part of a course I’m taking on social media and its effects on art in the modern world, though I will not be limiting my posts to coursework.

For at least the first 10 weeks I will be making regular updates to this blog, which will act as a gallery of my work thus far, with links to my other social media where I have a lot of my work already archived. I want this blog to function somewhat like a portfolio, with multimedia work, writings, lyrics and chord sheets, photos and videos I've captured, and any other art I make during this time. After that, the site will continue its function as a portfolio, but will much more focused on the work I've done rather than the process of creating it.

A lot of the work I’ve done is very well suited to digital mediums. I very much enjoy making studio audio art and taking and developing film photographs. I feel these mediums are very well suited to the replicable and accessible nature of online art. I plan to keep my music uploaded to YouTube and embedded on my blog, and my photos will be displayed on my blog in a gallery format. Because we live in such a saturated age of music, where it's never been more accessible to the common person, I feel it's important to approach this project with gestalt and a wide scope. I'm reminded of the reading: "The technical ability to create an image is now comically easy, while the social communication in its everyday nuance and skill is as involved and impossibly complex as ever" (13).

I hope you enjoy your trip through this website and you get something good or meaningful from it!

 

Comments

Popular Posts